I'm using the 30 day trial version of GeoBase 3.9.7.5. I've been playing with simply route optimization (no time windows, etc.). It optimized a route with 23 and 45 addresses in about 40 and 110 seconds respectively. I'm now trying 550 addresses and it's been running three and a half hours. Is this expected? I know it can take exponentially longer the more addresses you have, but I didn't expect this. I'm running on a 32-bit Windows 7 box with a 3GHz Althon II X2 B24 processor and 3GB of RAM.
    Hi Graeme,

Route optimization works by evaluating all the possible routes between the stops to find the optimal one, according to the RoutingStrategy used. The number of possible routes between even 20 or 50 stops can be quite substantial, so I am not surprised GeoBase is taking up to 3 three and a half hours to optimize 550 stops.

One of the most typical use case of our route optimization functionality is to help drivers determine the best order to visit a number of delivery/work sites in a day, which is typically around 10 stops. I am not sure that our route optimization is designed for the scale of operation that you're dealing with here. Could you please tell us a bit about your use case, so that we could perhaps suggest some alternative approach to optimze your routes?

You could contact us directly at gbsupport@telogis.com for a faster response.

Thanks,

April